Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Rhizome Collective

Ben bought me a book while we were in Seattle called "Sustainable City Living - A Do-It-Ourselves Guide". As I began reading it yesterday, I learned that the book was written by two people who are part of a group in Austin, TX, called 'The Rhizome Collective'. My revelation gardening last week (when I thought of the metaphor of the Bermuda grass rhizome being like grassroots organizing and social change) was apparently not as original as I'd thought! These people have been practicing radical sustainability for over 8 years together, using the metaphor of the rhizome to describe their work. On their website they define Rhizome as: "An expanding underground root system, sending up above ground shoots to form a vast network. Difficult to uproot." Just what I was thinking!!!
The book breaks down into subjects of Food, Energy and Water production, as well as dealing with waste and bioremediation. I'm excited.

1 comment:

emejota said...

HELLO! I like your blog. Linked in my blog. OK? (I'm sorry for my english... I'm spanish).

Visit me. Thanks. Greetings.

http://k-kao-shima.blogspot.com/