Friday, August 29, 2008

What this election means to me

Last night as I watched Barack Obama's speech, I felt moved to tears several times. For the first time in a long, long time, I was truly proud to be a citizen of this country. Not because we are better than any other country. Not because God has 'blessed' us any more than any other country, or because we are entitled to anything. But because I've been proud of the values guiding this movement, and I am inspired as I see people, young and old, of all backgrounds, mobilized, taking a stand, to be a part of making this country better. It has been inspiring and humbling to watch.

Throughout these past few months, as Barack got closer and closer to winning candidacy of the Democratic Party, I have found in myself something I'm not really sure what to do with. Part of me is sort of embarrassed by how much hope and inspiration I have drawn from this election - from Barack himself. I am embarrassed because I hear the 'naysayers' criticize him for being a 'celebrity' and not offering any specifics as to how he plans on fleshing out in hard terms the theme of his campaign: CHANGE across this nation. As a person of faith, I could never put all of my hope in any one human being - knowing that in God alone, through the resurrected Christ, is there any hope for a future whose foundation is love, reconciliation, healing and wholeness. I remember stories in Scripture where the Israelites simply wanted a political figure to save them - to bring about peace and prosperity in their time, in their day, in real, hard terms. Thru this process, it seems, they put their faith in those leaders, rather than in the God of history - who embodies justice, mercy, grace, love, kindness. And thru this process, eventually, they came to see that their leaders could not live up to their expectations. It seems it is thru this lens that people of faith, many for the first time, are engaging in this country's political process this year.

Before now, I would have argued that my generation feels hardened by the political process - hardened because for about as long as we've been able to vote, George Bush has been in office and people like him have been running our country. Many of us are apathetic toward the process, too, because we are not aware of or are not experiencing directly the negative impact of the Bush Administration's poor policy decisions. Many who've been hit hardest by Bush's policies are the people without a voice in the current system - because they have no money.

Barack's campaign has addressed nearly all of these concerns and more. His entire platform is based not on him bringing us out of this mess we're in, but in us doing it together. He has stated repeatedly that this is not about him, but about us, collectively - the American people. He realizes that his political support has come about primarily through an incredible mobilization of ordinary people - and not primarily through 'big money'. He has empowered people to speak up and tell their stories, and fight for the world as it could be. This of course is nothing new - Jesus told his followers to pray, "Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven." As one who yearns for the Kingdom of God to be here on earth as it is in heaven - a.k.a. for peace, justice, environmental restoration, etc... what could be more inspiring than a political leader saying, "Yeah, I want those things too, will you help us get there?"

My friend Norene, a 76-year old woman who I see a few times each week in the church office, talked to me today about her feelings throughout this election. She told me that she's been voting faithfully for as long as she's been able to - which is a long time. She said she has never been this emotionally involved in a presidential campaign. She was moved to tears, as well, as she heard Barack speak last night, and she's been following the DNC from the beginning. She is hoping with all her heart that my generation will listen to our hearts and our minds - and get involved in the political process - in the very least by voting...because if we do - we will see a change in Washington and in this country. It will not be over-night and it will be baby step by baby step - but it will happen.

I'm considering volunteering for Barack's campaign here in Portland (not that he necessarily needs my help here...) I'm realizing what a monumental moment in history we are in - and that we cannot go back in time and wish we'd done more. I don't want another four years in this country with a President who gives in to interests guided by money, greed and military power. Our people, our oceans, our air, our land - cannot afford it.

I, like Norene, am very emotionally involved in this campaign - almost to an embarrassing level. I've hidden it pretty well, though, up until this point. But what does that say about me if I care more about appearing calm and collected, politically neutral and safe - or - critical, showing no allegiance to any candidate - and focusing on the areas where a certain candidate does not measure up - than about doing whatever I possibly can to bringing about positive change in this world? This election has humbled me. No, Barack is not perfect. Neither am I. But he's the best I've seen in a long, long time.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I've been watching the campaign as well, and will vote for Obama. Most everyone else at my office is voting for McCain, which makes for interesting discussions. (They are also much older than me.)

My first election was Bush. What a blessing we can vote, choose a president, and be a part of the political system.

Good job volunteering! Make sure to catch us up on how it is.

Richelle said...

way to stand against the grain in your office elizabeth :)
i will let you know how it goes if and when i start volunteering. love ya.