Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Healing Gardens

My interest in pursuing landscape architecture coincides with my interest in addressing the needs of and caring for the baby boomer population as it ages. I have since begun looking into what role a garden can play in the well-being of a person - how it can both subtly and powerfully facilitate healing and wholeness in a person who is experiencing pain, loss, or uncertainty, particularly people suffering from chronic illness.

I came across a website that exists to pool information addressing those very concerns - featuring healing gardens that are found here in the US as well as internationally, resources for people working to create therapeutic gardens, and links to several other websites, publications, etc. that have to do with using landscape as a means of healing. The website is called the "Therapeutic Landscapes Database" and can be found here.

I am hoping to get in touch with some landscape architects in Portland who have some experience in this field, and maybe get their advice on grad schools/education/experience to help me along the journey.


P. S. I've begun work on the yard at our new house! So far I've spent about 8 hours - mostly just weeding. It is tiring work - but it feels really good to have a place to get my hands in the dirt. Hopefully if I get my act together I can still plant some veggie starts...and not freak out about all the dandelions taking over the lawn. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a fascinating way to look at issues of aging! As i studied architecture, one of the issues we looked at in terms of elder care was the role of inter-generational mutual care possibilities - mixing elder housing and child care.

i love the garden idea.

Great blog, by the way. Many blessings to you on your journey, and good luck, fellow designer.

jon