Sunday, July 20, 2008

Fruits of the season

Part of my intention this summer in taking a break from evening classes was to 1) work in the yard and tend the veggie garden and 2) break out my paints and do some art. So far I've done a good bit of the former, but man, it is really tough to get back into something you used to do regularly, and sort of pride yourself in being somewhat decent in. Of course art is both a joy and a discipline. I look at the "Painting a Day" movement artists and I am in awe by their dedication and perseverence. One painting a day. So, after taking some nice shots of the fruit Beth and I picked last weekend on Sauvie Island, I decided I would paint a little postcard-sized watercolor of the blueberries. I decided to go small, and I will probably continue to do smaller paintings because they give me a sense of accomplishment and I can keep going w/o feeling overwhelmed. (It's amazing how I can turn doing artwork 'for fun' into something I worry about...my friend Scott gave me a new perspective on the ordeal yesterday. He said worrying was a sign of advanced intelligence. I like that perspective, it makes me feel better about myself. But didn't I just write a blog entry like a month ago about Jesus' teaching on the matter? Maybe if I can be okay w/ the fact that I'm worrying, as it is apparently a sign of advanced intelligence, I won't worry so much about the fact that I'm worrying. Good grief. Bobby McFerrin, you gotta help me here.

2 comments:

Tracy Mae said...

haha bobby mcferrin! also gorgeous painting! thanks for the blog comment about my artwork but i wish i was creating artwork so you've oneupped me without meaning to. :) as far as the facewashing thing, i can tell i overwhelmed you. babysteps, dear. or not. i only went off proactiv cause its expendy and i want to have babies fairly soon (next few years) so i thought it would be good to try and go naturale the sooner the better. call me when you have time. i am always quite available but i dont know your schedule and you're two hours ahead of me. here is my number again: 210-264-2376. i love you and we will make it a point to see you. maybe we'll be able to steal away to portland, cause we also want to see lil kate hanson. we shall see, though, since no car. i really cant wait to see you! its been too freaking long.

Luvydog said...

babe... that painting is incredible. i love that you can just do that. i can barely make hand-turkey's. i love you... have a wonderful day.